27.3.11

The Elements

I wanted to have my Urban Quilt be a part of the awareness and healing of the planet's health and inspired by the journey of the Plastiki I looked for and found Dream Green, a soft washable batting that is made of 100% recycled plastic bottles. Every pound of batting keeps 10 bottles from becoming trash and will help keep bottles from becoming part of the huge garbage mass in the Pacific Ocean called The Great Pacific Garbage Patch.
DSC01706DSC01707

My tag design will use my art "The Ocean" that won the "Plastiki Crew Favorite" design award in the Klean Kanteen / Plastiki art contest.
The Ocean

The yarn I use to tie it is black Debbie Bliss Eco-baby yarn: "Debbie Bliss Eco Baby yarn is manufactured from 100% organic, fairtrade cotton within an ecologically and socially conscious process through the Bio Re textile chain, which integrates farmers, their families and the textile industry as equal partners."

The textile is 100% organic cotton sateen made and printed by Spoonflower. Raw unsewn textile below. I will be hand stitching and sewing these one by one myself, so each is a personal work of art not mass manufactured.

Day (top)
IMG_3728
Night (bottom)
IMG_3736